Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Going back to school!

Why am I excited about going back to school you say?  Well I never thought I'd be so excited either but the only reason is because its photography school!  Yup, enrolled in a 6 week course at Gordon Cooper Votech.  After that, the plan is to enroll at New York Institute of Photography, but I'm taking it one step at a time.

Over the few months I've developed a deep passion for photography (and deeply invested) and want to learn all there is to learn about it.   I wish I could say I developed a passion when I was young but that's not the case.  I was to busy doing what a young boy does....riding bikes, sports, girls etc.  I do remember being fascinated with my Dad's 35mm Pentax  and occasionally he would let me take a few pics with it.  This wasn't a point and shoot camera, it was your manual setting SLR (Single Lens Reflex) unlike most of today's digital consumer cameras.  So for a 7 year old it was quite daunting setting the aperture and shutter speed just right so that the light meter needle would be at the 50% range and then focusing manually on the subject. 

Cameras have come a long way since then but the basics are still the same to getting correct exposure.  Today's cameras have a host of effective and some not so effective features but companies have to add new features every couple of years or else you wouldn't upgrade to the latest and greatest right? Lenses is where your best investment should be if your just starting out.  They are never out of date and most generally hold their value.

My parents have recently passed down this 1976 Pentax for my personal use and I have to say its quite special to me.  My entire childhood was shot with this camera.  While its not my primary it definitely has its place for different situations.  The instant feedback of Digital cameras has spoiled me but I love getting back to the basics approach of this vintage camera.

Anyways, I'm super excited about going to photog school and looking forward to posting my experience with you for the next 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment